Nokia Applies For Interesting Alert Patent
Have you ever missed a call even with your device’s volume turned up to 30 and your vibrate on? You’re not the only one and Nokia thinks they have a solution to this problem, based on a recent patent submission. Nokia’s concept revolves around a skin spray with “ferromagnetic” material, a tattoo, or a stamp attached to your body that would offer vibrating notifications directly to your skin from a paired device. Each vibration sequence or type could signal low battery, phone call, text message, and/or calendar alerts.
Here is a bit of Nokia’s description of the “Vibrating Tattoo” in the application to the US Patent & Trademark Office:
- An apparatus comprising: a material attachable to skin, the material capable of detecting a magnetic field and transferring a perceivable stimulus to the skin, wherein the perceivable stimulus relates to the magnetic field
- The material is attached to skin using at least one of stamping a ferromagnetic pattern, spraying the ferromagnetic pattern, attaching adhesive tape comprising the ferromagnetic pattern, apply a decal comprising the ferromagnetic pattern, tattooing the ferromagnetic pattern and drawing the ferromagnetic pattern.
- The magnetic field may be initiated or generated by a source, which may be separate, remote, nearby or adjacent to the apparatus configured to detect the magnetic field.
- The perceivable stimulus may be any stimulus including but not limited to a vibration and/or impulse movement of the skin.
- The digital content comprising at least one of an indication of an alert of a message, indication of an incoming call, indication of a body part in proximity of the electronic device, indication of information displayed on the electronic device, indication of a launch of an application and indication of at least a portion of a displayed image.
Great camera hardware on the way from Nokia and maybe in the not to far distance, we’ll see some new ways for Nokia and Windows Phone to reach out and touch us.