How to get the official Windows 8 Media Center for Free
Users were not very happy with Microsoft when they decided to strip out Windows Media Center from Windows 8. It’s now an add-on that can be purchased through the Add Features option in Windows 8 Pro for $10 ( I think ). However, it would appear Microsoft is now offering anyone who has Windows 8 Pro a free upgrade to Media Center until the end of January. Windows 8 Pro users can sign up via email to receive a free upgrade to Windows 8 Media Center. Details below
Head over to this page put in your email address and the CAPTCHA code and wait for Microsoft to email you the product key. Once you get the email follow these steps to add Media Center to Windows 8
Add Windows 8 Pro Pack or Windows 8 Media Center Pack to your edition of Windows
- On Touchscreen devices Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search . If you’re using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.)
- Enter add features in the search box, and then tap or click Settings .
- Tap or click Add features to Windows 8 and then do one of the following:
- Tap or click I already have a product key.
- Enter your product key and click Next.
- Read the license terms, select the check box to accept the license terms, and then click Add features.
Now you have Windows 8 Media Center Pack on your Windows 8 Pro Device. via winsupersite
NOTE : Once the offer expires on January 31, 2013, you will have to pay $9.99 to get Windows Media Center. Sadly this offer does not apply users who aren’t running the Pro version. Non-Windows 8 Pro users will have to purchase the Windows 8 Pro Pack in order to get Windows Media Center.