Homebrew folders - Now with on-device creation
The guys over at WindowsPhoneHacker have released the updated version of their great homebrew app Folders, You can now create folders directly on your phone without the need to connect your WP7 to a PC.
The developer explains his homebrew app as seen in the above demonstration video.
After there was evidently a huge demand for Folders on Windows Phone after our demonstration, we’ve prepared the project for public release. Here’s some background:
Originally, this project was intended to be a simple way of cleaning up some ugly homebrew applications in the Start Menu, and placing them into a folder. Some people got wind of the project, though, and it became immediately clear that this would be something the general public would want.
This application is “What you see is what you get”. What we showed in the demonstration video is what you’ll get at this stage. We’ve received some very positive feedback from the homebrew community, which we’re very grateful for. This being said, the application is a work in progress, and don’t expect any magic.
In our new branch, we brought the ability for on-device configuration. In the old branch, you will need the Folders Config application on the desktop, which will handle setting up the folders on your phone, sans much hassle. You can add Marketplace apps, homebrew apps, System apps, and websites to a folder.
The tool makes adding Marketplace applications quick and painless, and finding applications should take less than a few seconds. The reason for the quirkiness is because we cannot list the applications on the device yet, because we do not have root access to the \Applications\Install folder to enumerate which applications are installed.
We appreciate feedback, but please be open minded. Thanks.
The setup requires the following:
* Developer/Chevron/etc unlocked phone. This should be less of an issue once ChevronWP7 Labs is released
* Windows Phone 7.5 Mango (for the secondary tiles)
* Create unlimited folders to pin to your start screen
* Completely custom groupings (not restricted by categories of any sort)
* NEW: configure directly from your phone! (on-device branch)
* Add Marketplace, homebrew, built-in applications, and websites to a folder (Desktop branch)
* Automatic Marketplace look up
* Automatic homebrew XAP parsing
* Shortcuts to WiFi, Bluetooth, Flight mode, and cellular settings
* Fully customizable with the ability to manually edit application entries
* Folders. Something other Windows Phones don’t have. Gotta love homebrew, no?
To download the XAP head on over to the link below.
Source : WPH