Jailbreaks & Hacks
XDA-Developers member Vova1609 has pushed out a Fully Unlocked custom ROM for Nokia Lumia 710 called Metro^7. Custom ROM allows users to run quite a bit of homebrew tools but also opens up the device to potential threats from rogue apps. Features include
- Full unlocked
- You can install XAP from Internet Explorer
- Bazaar has already installed
- Bluetooth File Transfer by DFT has already installed
- Exclusive wallpapers “metro ROCK” which we featured a while back
- Added tethering
- Deleted Nokia’s apps, like Nokia Music
- Added Google and Yandex as search engine
- And more…
Ever wanted to check out what the various other OEM’s offer their customers ? Perhaps you want to check out the exclusive marketplace offered by a different Carrier that the one you currently use. Well if you answered yes to those then stick around , we are going to tell you how to do just that in a few simple steps. Like all Best Homebrew Apps for Windows Phone this one requires a full unlock or you use use Windows Phone Root Tools to give the Marketplace Config app Trusted status.
With Apps / games that are installed from the marketplace you automatically update the app when an update is pushed out via the Marketplace but if you are a sideloader then when the new version of the app comes out and you try to reinstall the XAP file the app is installed as a fresh copy and you lose the settings and customization but with a new homebrew app called XapHandler you can tell your phone to install the XAP as a clean install or force it to update the existing XAP.
Update : The app can also be used on unlocked stock ROM ( thanks to WP7 Root Tools ) which will enable users to sideload XAP from IE or email )
Install instruction :
- Install XapHandler
- Run XapHandler ( if you are on a stock ROM you will need to add XapHandler as trusted using WP7 Root Tools ) and hit OK.
- Exit App.
We wrote about dotcompt a month ago when he released his v7 custom rom for HTC, his latest release v7.2 has a nice addition of DS Supertool and an updated DS Marketplace.
The changelog for his new release shows he has also removed a few apps;
Release v7.2 Change log: 12-Feb Deepshining Mango 8107 v7.2 details:
1. Deepshining Supertool released
. user interface clean and smooth like DS Marketplace
. access your connectivity shortcuts faster and easier
. set you favorites contacts and call them with just a simple tap
. easly find your location weather and news
. create fast notes and reminders in a single place
. updateble app (you´ll know when a new version is available with no need to flash a new Rom again.
2. Deepshining Marketplace updated to v1.2.0
. added Orientationlock from Jaxbot at windowsphonehacker.com
. added new wallpapers to the wallpapers section
. removed Solitaire Game (warez), sorry about that.
. cleaned and revised some line codes
3. Removed some apps to make DS Rom as light as possible
If you want to download the rom go over to deepshining.mobi
Note: Omnia W and Focus S are clasified as second generation.
Battery Status is a homebrew app released by singularity0821 on xda-dev that allows unlocked Windows Phone users to pin a live tile on the home screen which shows the percentage of charge left in the battery along with other cool stuff. We take a look at verison 4.0 that also adds some other cool stuff like battery voltage and allows users to check the various process running in the background.
Many developers and enthusiasts wanted Microsoft to add screenshot support to Windows Phone; those prayers were never answered by Microsoft but the homebrew community have put together a tool that users can sideload on to their windows phone and then they can take a screenshot with a simple half click on the camera button , you can continue taking snaphots up to 20 times and once you decide to stop the app saves all the images you have captured in to your picture hub ( as long as you click the toast notification that pops up )
Webserver is a HomeBrew app for Windows Phone that .. well allows you to run a webserver on your phone. Its developed by fiinix from xda-dev and based of the old webserver for NoDo by davux. Being a homebrew app you will need an unlocked phone to try this app. You do NOT need the device to be INTEROPUNLOCKED. The app will work fine with Mobile Data or WiFi network. Usage is quite simple sideload the XAP to your phone , run WebServer.
You need just enter the URL to XAP file and it will download and install it.
Note, the start and the end of installation signaled by sound Beeps, no UI provided yet.
It’s recommended to turn sound before installing it.
Julien Schapman has released the beta version 18.104.22.168 of his select and apply hack tool Advanced Configuration Tool , this is a simple way of applying various hacks and tweaks to your unlocked Windows Phone 7 device with out getting your hands dirty with a registry editor. This being a homebrew app you will need an unlocked device to run this. It is currently compatible with HTC, Samsung and LG WP7. ( sorry Dell users )
Features & tweaks:
- Display device info: device name & model, software & hardware versions, memory info, storage info, IP addresses, Wi-Fi & Bluetooth MAC addresses
- Customize accent colors, create new colors, add predefined colors, remove existing ones
- Customize system sounds and set individual volume for each sound event
- Customize tiles and icons for applications including built-in (HTC & LG only Tiles must be named AppTile_*.png and placed in \Windows directory, as well as icons must be named AppIcon_*.png)
- Provisioning XML support: open provisioning XML files from file explorer, email attachment or web link (HTC & LG only It will open .xml files, not .provxml files, so rename it if needed)
- Personalize device name
- Don’t dehydrate apps on pause
- Allow max unsigned applications
- Prevent phone from relocking
- Enable Wi-Fi 802.11n mode
- Show 3G toggle
- Show 3G+ icon for HSDPA
- Run Auto Data Config
- SMS recipient limit
- Allow disable lock screen timeout
- Enable advanced accessibility settings
- Fix caller ID match
- Fix 32-bit mode display
- Internet Explorer search engine
- Internet Explorer new tab page
Update : Microsoft has said using this tool may put your phone in a state from which you might not be able to get future updates.
We have seen a hack to force NoDo to your device if the carriers have started ” delivering updates “, but now thanks to Chris Walshie there is a simple way to get NoDo to your device ( it does NOT matter if your device is locked , it does not matter if you have not received the Pre-NoDo update, it could be any one of the wp7 hardware ). The only thing is your default language on WP7 has to be one of the following language
- English ( US )
- English ( UK )
You can check your default language on your WP7 by going to Settings > Keyboard. If your language is not one of these DON’T flash your device with this method.